Romi 32U4 Control Board
- Brand: Pololu Electronics
- Product Code: 3544
- Location: AS1
- Availability: In Stock
R598.00 (price excl. VAT)
Romi 32U4 Control Board
The Romi 32U4 Control Board is designed to be assembled with a Romi chassis to create a capable integrated robot platform that can easily be programmed and customized. Like our A-Star 32U4 programmable controllers, the Romi 32U4 Control Board is built around a USB-enabled Atmel ATmega32U4 AVR microcontroller, and it ships preloaded with an Arduino-compatible bootloader. The control board features two H-bridge motor drivers and is designed to connect to a Romi Encoder Pair Kit (available separately) to allow closed-loop motor control. It also includes a powerful 5 V switching step-down regulator that can supply up to 2 A continuously, along with a versatile power switching and distribution circuit. A 3-axis accelerometer and gyro enable a Romi 32U4 robot to make inertial measurements, estimate its orientation, and detect external forces. Three on-board pushbuttons offer a convenient interface for user input, while indicator LEDs, a buzzer, and a connector for an optional LCD allow the robot to provide feedback.
The Romi 32U4 Control Board can be used either as a standalone control solution or as a base for a more powerful Raspberry Pi controller. Its on-board connector and mounting holes allow a compatible Raspberry Pi (Model B+, Model A+, Pi 2 Model B, or Pi 3 Model B) to plug directly into the control board. Integrated level shifters make it easy to set up I²C communication and interface other signals between the two controllers, and the control board automatically supplies 5 V power to an attached Raspberry Pi. In this setup, the Raspberry Pi can handle the high-level robot control while relying on the Romi 32U4 Control Board for low-level tasks, like running motors, reading encoders, and interfacing with other analog or timing-sensitive devices.
- Size: 4.4″ × 3.3″ × 0.38″
- Weight: 35g
- Current rating: 5A
- Processor: ATmega32U4 @ 16 MHz
- RAM size: 2560 bytes Program memory size: 32 Kbytes
- Motor driver: DRV8838
- Motor channels: 2
- Minimum operating voltage: 2.5 V
- Maximum operating voltage: 10.8 V
- Continuous output current per channel: 1.8 A
- Logic voltage: 5 V
- Reverse voltage protection?: Y
- External programmer required?: N
- The Romi 32U4 Control Board ships with all of its surface-mount components populated, and it includes a number of through-hole parts and mounting hardware, as shown in the picture above. Note that assembly (including soldering) is required; please see the user’s guide for assembly instructions.